Slideshow

Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Years Day

I was up 28 hours straight on New Year's eve.  We pulled in, leveled and I slept for four hours to finish in the morning. Woke up, had a couple of glasses of Champagne, watched the celebration in San Antonio on Telly and dropped back into bed for nine hours.  The perfect amount of time off is hard to calculate, you just feel it when it's time.  What would be nice is to have a bit to complete some longer needed repairs.

Last four months since my best Bud Jeff passed.  I haven't yet deleted the various phone numbers he had due to his chronic condition of cheapskatonia.  OK, to be fair Jeff was also a really generous guy in a lot of ways.  But god, I don't know how many times an argument would sprout over a pizza bill, or who owed the next pitcher of beer. And, I guess call it denial or dementia there have been a few times I almost called.  Give him a bad time about dieing after a more strenuous yoga session.  The conversation I suspect would go a little like this:  First I would convey my feelings about the incident, in the words of the great philosophers it would probably go like this.  "Pussy".  To which he would likely argue that there existed a yoga based martial art used by various special forces around the world.  I'd say "Bullshit" and we would both set to Googling.   He would usually declare victory on the first Wikipedia finding that Yoga never caused death or dismemberment.  More likely a latent cause of his exposure to my liberal politics.  But then that was half the fun of our relationship.  Guess that's what they mean by living on in the minds of those who knew him.  An honor I guess I would covet.  Still, I have only four months to go to out live him.  What? What?  Whad I say??????


Last couple of days have been wet and cold.  Me as the night guy in particular, cold I mean. Not as bad as working nights in Idaho however.  This type of employment can be a grind, but truth be told, when we are away from it, well, we kind of miss it.  Lisa in particular seems to have much greater social needs than myself, a somewhat anti social grouch.  She gets those needs met doing this.  Something that only myself and a few others know about is that she also adores older folks.  Folks, yes older than myself.  Matter of fact, older the better: seventy's OK, eighties better,  ninety's and she is almost bubbly.  As in the case when one of the last landowner's came around.  There have been cases where she has had such meaningful talks with some of these folks that they have come around to say goodbye. And although she is usually the youngest when we have visited retirement type communities, she tends to fit in much better than myself, dragging me to the various social's, though she has yet to get me to sit down for an all night Pinochle.  Yesterday after being released and during the transition of a new crew replacing the old, pulling her out was much akin to pulling teeth as the landowner came around as well as the new crew pulling their own guard's.  As it usually is a confabulation of the missuses.  A thing no man in his right mind dare interfere.

Something, I hesitate to talk about but feel compelled.  (As in most cases where my mouth just opens up without benefit of cerebral input), but as in the words of somebody else, it is currently "Dark Day's" for law enforcement.  After reading Radley Balco's "Rise of the Warrior Cop" I was alarmed as anybody else would be.  My perception is much different having served in an occupation that I did for so many years.   I can honestly say, rarely did I ever witness or even hear of the crazy stuff Balco has in his book where I came from.  Sure there were mistakes, but nothing like this.  And for that you would have to read it yourself. But in my heart and in my head I truly believe that 99 percent of the folks in law enforcement are good and honest folks.  As I see it, that One percent is somehow setting an agenda. But the comparison that comes to mind, is the nonstop reporting of the problems of the professional athlete's whose legal problems are as widely reported as the occasional lawless cop.   And many years ago what I personally observed in college athletics.  A time when steroid use was legal and probably encouraged and personally living in a dorm situation, myself and other's learned to tread lightly weekends when some of the more notorious athlete's after a night of partying often liked to top their night off with a brutal beating of some hapless student. Many a misdeed was  expertly covered by coaches and administration. As this almost occurred to your's truly a couple of times, I think I know whence I speak.  But the public demanded more and I would guess those times are long gone.  Lessons could be learned by administrators from Collegiate coaches now, the ones who do it right (Think BSU's Chris Peterson) who work tirelessly to train the young men under their charge a better and more honorable way. And the results are amazing.  During the respective season's ,the news seems to be always reporting some new athlete involved event such as visits of athletes  at childrens hospitals and senior homes. Volunteering in charity events, I've even read of some over the top stuff of some folks, men and women volunteering to work in poor countries during summer breaks and immediately following college. And on the flip side, the also hold their players to a higher degree of accountability.  And there is no tolerance for violence, the hallmark of the old days. Lately, I've seen more and more involvement by high school coaches with their student athletes doing much of the same positive activities,  which is probably the best way to survive in this new education averse environment. Sure there have always been an annual police basketball game or two, but while working in the private sector I have painted houses, picked garbage and other things.   And to be fair, lately I have seen and heard of more involvement from Department's whose progressive administrator's recognize the problems and are more inclined to fix the problem than to stubbornly cling to the bad habits that have more or less secretly embedded the past ten or more years.  Maybe there would be more opposition to benefit and pay cuts to public workers.  And if there is one overriding factor that would serve to prove my point above all else is:  Do you know what Chris Peterson's salary is?

3.5% Rule


Such a low key start to a new year.  Believe me, a lot lower, and sober I might add than past New Year's.  This one is a bit more meaningful though.  Frankly, some instances this past year have been disheartening.  And I would really like to ask folks to take care of themselves.  Do their best to realize what's really important these days.  Listen to the great one's and ignore the fear mongerers.  (Think the Pope,  Dali Lama, Malala,) celebrate the bravery of the Ebola worker's and the troops.  But the latter, to finally get them out of harms way for good.  And for better or worse to all my friends and family I hope the New year is full of health, hope, new adventures and prosperity.  

I also really miss the music of this man.  He died way too young. Music from my youth.  A very melancholy but staple song for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment